Thursday, August 13, 2009

Change of Address Gripe

A short, stocky woman approached the desk.
"I'd like to get a library card."

She filled out the application while I began input from her drivers license.
"Is this your current address?"
"No, it's on the back."
"Sorry, we can't take handwritten change of address. Do you have anything else with your address on it: checkbook, mail, insurance card, hunting license?"
"No, the DMV said just to write my address on the back."
"Yes, I know, they do that now but we need some other verification."
"This is worse than going to prison."
I laughed a little, offhandedly.
"No, I'm serious."

Prison, not jail, prison. I laughed a little, weakly, in an uncertain, wheezy sort of way. Because really, what else am I supposed to say- that would explain the bad haircut? I'm sure it is harder to get a library card than to get processed for prison. But then, people aren't typically trying to get into prison.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Nice last sentence, I wasn't expecting that.
Well done.