Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Assaulted with Teen Attitude


It wouldn't have surprised me if the girl threw herself on the floor, legs and arms flailing, wailing, "I want my library card number!"
They were a cute duo of teens. The blonde and the brunette seemed to come as a set. The brunette was the speaker and the blonde provided the twittering laugh track. The brunette began.

"I, um, forgot my library card, so, if you could just write down the number that would be great."
"Sure, I just need some picture ID- student ID, rec center pass..."
"Well, I can just tell you my name and then you can look it up."
"I can as soon as you show me your ID."
"Well, my name is Jenny Smith. So, can't you just look it up?"
"If you just show me your ID I'd be happy to. I need to verify that you are who you say you are and that you're not just telling me you're Jane Doe, for instance."

Simple logic didn't penetrate the mule-headed girl.

"But I'm not Jane Doe. That's just stupid. I'm Jenny Smith. Look, here's my old library card number- just look up my new one with that."

The stubborn, "but I want" sense of entitlement, persisted despite my best efforts. The condescending tone didn't help matters either. The conversation continued on until she realized I really meant what I said-- no ID, no number. I've outlasted a toddler, I can certainly outlast a teen.

"This library totally sucks. I, like, totally hate it. It is so lame."

Needless to say, she has been back and has assiduously avoided me. Which is too bad because I'd be happy to point out the thesaurus. I believe we even carry a book on Shakespearean insults.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

"... But I'm not Jane Doe, that's just stupid..." Classic.
Great post. I like your profile picture too Book Worm. I bet you're cuter in real life.