Friday, September 12, 2008

A Wolf, The God of War and a Comic Strip at Kid's Club


My kiddos are amazing. I'm responsible for the K-2 kid's club and I'll admit I was just a wee bit nervous when I noticed 8 boys on the roster. 8 boys, that's what my grandmother wound up with and we all know how that one ended. Well, maybe you don't but let's just say it had something to do with a dirt track up the stairs for toy trucks, a skunk mistaken for a rabbit, and a corpse (not real) on the pool table. 'nuf said.
It didn't help my anxiety that a cartoon character and the God of thunder were included on the list (that would be Ziggy and Thor).
From the get-go they have been well mannered, eager to learn, and stoked to bring home a craft. I can honestly say these little monkeys are so much fun. It's not just anyone that I would dress in a floral nightgown, quilted peach jacket and wolf tail for. Their eyes lit up when Isabelle, the lone female, pointed out my tail peaking out of the hem of my nightgown. I read Winston the Book Wolf and Do Not Open This Book. The use of language is so tangible in those books, they are fantastic read alouds. Poor little Thor was beside himself that we were going to open-- Do Not Open This Book. They particularly enjoyed the section when I added their names to the story. The ultimate compliment was when my second grader wanted to check out both books. Great bunch of kids. Next week we'll be reading about the tooth fairy.

No comments: