Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Band Books

"This book is inappropriate for my daughter. She's just a child! This is becoming a problem."

The offensive book was thrust under my nose with righteous indignation. On the cover was a cat with a magic wand. I think it was titled, "Miss Kitty Learns to Spell." Alright, I made up the title but it's not too far off. I was gearing myself up for something climactic like Sex by Madonna in all it's coffee table size grandeur.
"Ah, I see. Unfortunately, we don't have limitations on our library cards. But you, as her parent, can check her account online with the pin you set up. You, as her parent, can screen materials when they come into your home. You, as her parent, can have a frank and honest discussion about why you feel the material is inappropriate and if she refuses to see reason, ground her ass. Or you, as her parent, can take away her library card.
None of those options is agreeable? You'd like to speak with the manager? I'll see if Mr. B is in. You've already spoken with him about limiting everyone else's access to materials? He didn't agree? Strange."

1 comment:

TnD said...

So glad to see you are posting again. I love reading your thoughts.