Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Crashing Through by Robert Kurson

The writing wasn't great but the subject was inspiring. Mike May played soccer, tether ball, rode a bike, (indulge me) built a ham radio tower in his backyard, drove a car, downhill speed skier, worked for the FBI, father, entrepreneur. Oh, and blind from 3 to 43. I walked away with his 4 simple rules.

1. Have an adventure
2. Speak to your curiosity
3. Be willing to fall down or get lost
4. There's always a way

My daughter asked me what my scariest experience was and it got me thinking. Surprisingly, there aren't many. The one that came to mind I won't share with her.

I don't consider myself a particularly brave person. I don't have a black belt in martial arts or a freakish ability to heal but with a little distance, there's not a lot to fear. True fear? usually only when it involves someone I love. This whole concept was new to me. Careful, pragmatic that's me. I'm left to wonder when did the fear creep into my life disguised as care and why? go out and live a little, what's the worst that can happen? or better yet what's the best that can happen? In the inimitable words of Oingo Boingo, "there's nothing to fear but fear itself."

No comments: