Tuesday, December 2, 2008

One Good Book


Do you ever have one of those moments where disparate elements intersect for no apparent reason? My random moment seems to be Harper Lee. We watched In Cold Blood and discovered she was friends with Truman Capote. My boy read To Kill a Mockingbird in English. I picked up Who the Hell is Pansy O'Hara and there she was again.
Harper Lee's characters live in my memory as an old friend, blurred and indistinct but warm. It's the only book she ever wrote. I wish she had written more.

In Who the Hell is Pansy O'Hara, they quote Harper Lee as saying, "I hoped for a little (public encouragement), as I said, but I got rather a whole lot, and in some ways this was just about as frightening as the quick, merciful death I'd expected." I understand her block on a visceral level. I freeze when it's going well. The focus blurs and the well runs dry.

Is it true that everyone has at least one good book in them? What blocks some brilliant writers from continuing?

If you had one good book in you, what would it be? Talk amongst yourselves.

No comments: