Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Once Upon a Time


Ah, bedtime stories at the library. The trouble is no one has been coming. A more established library has bedtime stories the same night. So, I usually wander the stacks and find three or four books a few minutes before showtime, just in case.
Only last night was a little different. I watched in stunned disbelief as at least six little ones, parents in tow, padded in in their pjs. I changed up the tone and meter, threw in a few silly voices and shortened some stories and when their attention was blown called it a day.

That's it?

What time did you start? That was the time it took me to drive over here. We thought this would be a fun library.

We usually go to the
other story time and last week they had award-winning children's books, from our state, as a theme. She sings a welcome song and half-way through they get their wiggles out and then at the end... they get milk and cookies. The kids really look forward to that.

Part of me wanted to tell her to go home, tuck her daughter into bed, snuggle up next to her and pull out the child's favorite book but I refrained.

I can sing in the car or the shower... with the radio turned up...really loudly, but get me in front of a group of adults expecting Disney tunes and choreography and I'm no good. Now, I'm not saying it was incredible but milk and cookies? Who can compete with that? I actually thought they were great suggestions for our programming and passed along her name and number but give me the old school bedtime any day. I wouldn't have missed that with my kids for anything.

1 comment:

jane said...

hello -
i am an old friend of patrick's, living in colorado springs. he pointed me to your blog. i love it!
this post especially resonated with me for the last week. i agree. give me old school bedtime any day. i enjoy reading with my kids every night. we've done it since they were tiny. they love it. i'll be sad when it ends.
i think it's great that you are doing something you love, and catching little moments that are funny or special while doing it.
i think you've for sure got one good book in you.
- jane