Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Fierce and Desperate Thing


A couple of little guys in my class came down with something. Their symptoms include but are not limited to: finding me in the library just to say Hi, being the first one to class, wanting to sit on my lap during storytime, lifting chairs twice their size, general atypical rowdy behavior. That's right--they've got a Crush with a capital C.

A little boy's crush is a fierce and desperate thing. It's a beautiful and embarrassing experience to be the focus of such pure, blind adoration. I employ the classic female strategy: feign ignorance, continue to treat the little guys the same as before and wait for time or the end of programming to remedy the situation.

It occurred to me that the crush is not all that different from adult male courting behavior. I just get to see its genesis. I guess we're alright unless the boys start chest thumping, butting heads or getting tattoos, then drastic measures will need to be taken.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

You just point these little guys out to me and I'll take care of this "problem." Problem solved (thumps chest right on tattoo that says "I'm with the hot red head" ... it was supposed to say that, they messed up and it says "I'm with the red hot head" they won't give me a refund either, but they said they'd add a hyphen between 'hot' and 'head')

Patrick said...

... then I told them that wouldn't work either... how about a hyphen between 'red' and 'hot'? Next week. I've got an appointment.