Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Bracing for the Change


I couldn't let this day pass without a nod to the historical significance of this day. Today, I'm proud to be an American. It's awe inspiring how far we, as a nation, have come from the days of segregation and slavery. Others will more eloquently and appropriately express these sentiments, those who have lived that history. It's not often you see history unfold before you and know that you are part of it. Last night, we sat the kids down and had them watch the election with us.

Yes, mom and dad, I did vote for Obama and here's why. I have to seriously consider someone supported by both Colin Powell and Warren Buffet. I didn't like the half truths McCain resorted to in his campaign. I was disappointed. Given McCain's age and previous bout with cancer, I didn't like his choice of running mate. Since, McCain chose a female running mate, he should have chosen a savvier, more substantial one- they are out there. Obama is intelligent, charismatic, and must feel the responsibility of being the first African American president heavily. He has a clear vision of how he will lead this country.

I am terrified of the power President Obama will wield once in office, the changes he has championed. I don't know what the reality of those changes will look like. I am terrified but hopeful. Hopeful, that he will chose his advisers wisely and with care. Hopeful, that he will be able to lead us out of this mess we're in.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Well said... especially at 7:30 in the morning. I'm impressed.