Saturday, February 28, 2009

All Day Training- Smells Like Teen Spirit


People Maps. That's right. We got to take another assessment test. I felt like a lab rat. I learned I am a People Free Spirit. Basically, what that boils down to is-the big boss has a building full of people free spirits and no way of relating to them. By the by, I guess I should use the hyphen, lest you think my boss is using a ouija board to communicate with non-human entities at the library. No, no ancient indian burial grounds here.

Just a building full of perceptive, easily bored, "master problem solvers", who just want everyone to do their jobs and let us do ours. We like to start projects but not finish them. Jack of all trades master of none sort of thing. Oh, and let's have fun while we do it. (We don't like 8 hour meetings. Especially compulsory ones, that end in taking everyone's scores to assess the organization.) I can see that information may be a little disheartening for a manager to discover. The bad news is: you were right. We really don't want you around or necessarily need you around. Ouch, that sounds unduly harsh. Let's go to happy hour.

I think the first clue might have been the diverse background of our motley crew: banking, education, law, philosophy, yoga, art, advertising, etc. The good news is: there's a great deal of varied expertise in one spot. Uh, how 'bout we all like doughnuts? Can we agree on that? Just get the variety pack.

1 comment:

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

And you all agree that 8-hour meetings are lame. Especially if there are no donuts. And I totally agree. Maybe I'm a people free spirit, too!