Friday, February 6, 2009

Remember Me Forever


"You don't know my name, do you." It was a statement not a question.

He looked at me incredulously. After all, Sugar and Hon only go so far with a five year old. "Sure, I do. You're Rumplestiltskin. No! Pumpernickle Pickle?
I guess not, give a hint."

"It starts with Mat."

"Hmm, (after a suitable pause) it wouldn't be Matthew would it?"

"Will you remember it now?"

"Probably til I'm 93. Will that do?"

"No, you have to remember me forever."

He said it with all sincerity and I hope I do.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

This is one of my favorites. I love how you captured his sincerity and your thoughtful response. Well done.

Anonymous said...

That's quite a promise (93!) for a busy, genetically memory challenged lady like yourself to make...That being said - I'm sure you will always and forever remember sweet Matthew's name. I just hope you will also always and forever remember which face goes with the name. ;)