Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ahoy, Matey!


A middle aged man came into the library. Short, dark, with a small box under his arm. "Do you have any books on coins--old coins?" We were able to find what he needed and the man was excited. So much so, that in his excitement he began to talk.

"So my buddy sold them to me from his car. I've got like three more boxes in my car. I hope I didn't get ripped off. I paid a couple hundred dollars for these."

Somehow I don't think he was the one getting ripped off. He opened the box to let me see. The coins were in plastic collectors sleeves. Beautiful older coins. My coworker noticed that at least one coin was worth hundreds of dollars.

The man said he was going to buy a new car and come back and show it to us. He never did. It's a mystery coming and going.

No comments: