Friday, October 17, 2008

Pressed into Service


Y, oh, Y did I have to choose the next book for my Read & Feed Book Club? There are a couple of complications.
First, it's a husband/wife book club. That may not sound so bad but think about it. When was the last time you both read and enjoyed the same book?
Second, the book needs some sort of food tie in. Someplace all eight of us can sit and discuss the book. That I can work with and stretch if need be.
Third, I work with these people. We need something interesting enough to discuss but not uncomfortable the next day.

I've been through lists of best sellers, recommended reads, must reads, you name it. I've narrowed the list and scanned for content. Some topics may be a little too close to home (I'll let you decide which). Loss of a child no, prostitution out(get your mind out of the gutter), war theme nyet, mushy romance nope, S&M definitely out(do I look like I'd know?), so that leaves me with exactly--nothing. Well, I overstate, I did manage to squeeze one out.

May I have the envelope, please. (drum roll)
And the winner is...

The House of Sleep by Jonathan Coe

Oh, but wait, I just really love...

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Hmmm, this one shows promise...

City of Refuge by Tom Piazza

Alright, so I haven't narrowed it to just one yet but I will. Promise. Even if it comes down to a coin toss. All I can say is, it's a good thing we don't meet again until January.

No comments: