Friday, October 31, 2008

I'm Your Biggest Fan


He was my father's age and reminded me a great deal of my uncle. Strawberry blonde, sun baked skin, rough, working hands and a certain glint in his eye that danced the line between madness and mischief.

"So, you live around here then?"
"Yep, we've been here about 8 years."
"In old town?"
"Nope, just down the road."
"Oh, in those big houses with the airplanes."


Dodge, parry. I wasn't about to give the man my address.
He was chatty and we soon discovered we'd both grown up in the same state. It kinda went like this...


"You ever hear of the mormons?"
"Yes, I was raised mormon."
"Me, too."


He leaned in and lowered his voice.

"You a polygamous?"
"Nope, one is plenty. Isn't it?"
"Ol' Joe was purty smart though. Gettin' men to give ten percent for all the women they wanted to have. 'Cause you know what men think with don't you?"


There was a long pause, as if he really expected me to answer this question. He wanted to expound on his topic. Instead, I opted to change the subject.

"Oh, look. We do have that book on metal detection. Let me show you were it is."
"You gonna be here in a couple of days when I return this book?"
"I'm here all the time but if I'm not someone else would be happy to help you."
"No, you're the best I only want you to help me."


Heh, heh (that would be nervous laughter). Wow, let me just add another slightly bent fan to my fan club. Wonderful.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

great. another one? Un-f'ing-believable (to coin a phrase). You need a burka.