Thursday, October 9, 2008

Peanut Butter Fiasco


Once again my brilliance astonishes me. I put together an odor lesson plan for the kiddos in my group. We read Smelly Bill and My Dog is as Smelly as Old Socks. We made Smelly Sam sock puppets and then, the coup de gras, odor experiment.

I filled paper cups with different things: honey, mint tea, pickles, mustard, and peanut butter. Then I covered the cups in foil and poked a hole in the top. We sent the cups around the group and they got to identify each scent. Great fun. The kids loved it. Only one minor kink in the plan. After sending around the peanut butter one little girl says, "Peanut butter, I'm allergic to peanut butter." The little girl next to her turns and says, "Hey, me too!"

While they were bonding, my mind is racing. Oh my god! Can smelling peanut butter cause a reaction? Should I head it off and have them chew on a few antihistamines? Do we have an epi pen? What a block head. Sending not one but two children to the hospital, not good. That's got to be some kind of record.

Thank God, they were fine. There was no reaction. And Nincompoop learned her lesson.


Anybody want a peanut?

1 comment:

Patrick said...

anybody want a peanut? CLASSIC! Made me laugh out loud. Well written.