Thursday, May 7, 2009

Baby Birds and Ladybugs

An elderly woman extends her elbow and says, "Would you like a ladybug?" "Ladybugs are supposed to be good luck. Are you sure you want to give it away?"

I gently coaxed it from her sleeve and watched it crawl along my hand as I made my way outside. I passed my branch manager on the way out the door (I can only imagine what he was thinking). I made it outside and when I looked again it was gone. I can't remember the last time I took such childish pleasure in a ladybug. Thank you.

After work, I went to pick up my daughter at the park and was immediately surrounded by teenagers. "There's an emergency." I was thinking an emergency along the lines of "I need a ride home".

The girls parted and I could see a boy gently cradling a napkin. He looked for all the world a proud papa as he showed me the tiniest baby bird I have ever seen. No bigger than a quarter, his translucent skin not yet covered by pin feathers, he lay swaddled in the boy's hand.

In the top of an evergreen, we finally found the nest. It was a mound of dried grass with a few candy wrappers added for color. It had no opening or hollow in which to place the baby. The boy carefully used a stick and made a hollow for the baby bird.

I was so touched by the concern these kids had for such a helpless creature. It was beautiful to see the care they took to help the baby bird and the obvious pride and relief when it was over. There's still hope and tenderness in the world. Kids still have it. I'm doubly blessed.
*and that boy has permission to date my daughter.

No comments: