Friday, May 22, 2009

Socially Awkward Lessons From An Introvert

The library offers me a new challenge everyday. Part of what I love is the interaction with our patrons. Sometimes a patron will have a difficulty and it's my job to make them feel comfortable. Sometimes I fail miserably in my eagerness but here are a few things I've learned.

Yesterday a regular patron stopped in the library but he wasn't wearing his glasses and I realized he has a lazy eye. I had heard you look at the "good" eye. Well, I tried that but I'm still not sure it was the right one. Which means I'm pretty sure it was the wrong one. Next time, I'll look at the bridge of the nose.

We have patrons who are hard of hearing. Look at them squarely, speak clearly, gestures are helpful.

I've encountered a gentleman with severe stuttering. At the time, I thought I'd help him out by anticipating the end of his question. Now I know, NOT helpful. I'm ashamed I didn't offer him the common courtesy of hearing him out. Next time, I'll do better.
Common hindrances to listening.
  1. Having preconceived notions regarding the speaker or the message that taint one’s ability to truly hear what is being said;
  2. Anticipating what is being said and thus never actually listening;
  3. Contemplating their response while the speaker is talking;
  4. Having personal issues or outside distractions compete with the message;
  5. Reacting emotionally and thus missing the entire message.
Neukrug (1999)
Small steps in the right direction. In forty years, I'll be omnipotent.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

But I don't stutter.