Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Language at the Library


A substantial woman came into the library to report a group of teens, out front, swearing and talking about drugs. She was concerned about the children coming into the library overhearing the language. No, they were not actually in the library. She, herself, swore like a sailor and now her two year old drops the f bomb but still.
So, I steeled myself to confront the terror of teen boys (is there a name for a group of teens? like a gaggle of geese? I think 'terror' works but I digress.) Honestly, I had no real power here. I knew it and if they had a brain between them they knew it. I considered not doing anything. I envisioned a group of red eyed, mall rats eager to prove their prowess.
I mentally expanded into Big Mama, my alter ego in such situations. Listen, you little punk arse, who the heck do you think you are? Using that kind of language in front of little children. Now move that skinny butt on out of here or I'll do it for you.
For whatever reason, this time, Big Mama decided to take a kinder gentler approach. "Hey, listen, guys, can I ask you a favor? There's a patron inside who's concerned about the language. There are little ones that come in and out of the library that might overhear, so, could you tone it down for me?"
"Oh, sorry, my bad. Sure, no problem."
I had to smile a little when I turned and heard, "Dude! You're gonna get us kicked out of here." I underestimated them and Big Mama.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Nice job putting that incident together in a short essay. It was almost like I was there.... now for the pad kid's club project!