Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Goosebumps vs. Romance Novels


Don't ask me if Goosebumps is okay for your kindergartner. You know your kid better than I do and I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet myself. My kids didn't read them but they were sensitive to that stuff.

In elementary school, I, myself, was fascinated with all things supernatural. At one point, my folks barred me from any book dealing with ghosts, witches, or vampires at my school library (I'd read most of them anyway). In hindsight, not the best course because then they also had the allure of "forbidden". Not to mention, I had more time to peruse mom's paperbacks with the covers torn off.

Pop Quiz: Which quote is from Goosebumps and which is from a romance novel?

"I shivered and pulled my jacket closer. "Wait up, Terri!" I called. As usual, she had plowed ahead. Graveyards get her all excited."

"The call girl's naked thigh made a sucking sound on the limousine's black leather upholstery as she scooted her miniskirted bottom closer to President-Elect Ferguson."

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Butt Munchers ?!