Sunday, March 29, 2009

Be Kind to Your Servers


A lovely woman called the library to see why she couldn't download audio books. Alas, she is not a resident. That means she does not contribute to our resource pool. But as a courtesy, we allow use of the facilities and 10 items to be checked out for such patrons.

She was extremely upset by our policy. Her solution was to tell her home library to curtail privileges for our towns patrons. Fair is fair. Indeed.

Had I been feeling a bit more devious, an imperceptible bump in our conversation could have sent us on a different course. I would have been extremely helpful and used the mirroring skills I learned in countless training classes.

I understand your sentiments completely. It must be very frustrating. I am just so sorry you are that unhappy with our services. I'll tell you what I'm going to do for you, I'm just going to go right ahead and delete your account. There. No. No, need to thank me. Happy I could help. You just have a great day! Oh, sure. My name is Bula.


Call me crazy, but there is a reason you are coming to our library. Perhaps a more constructive approach would be to ask your library to update their own system and buy their own e resources.

Oh, and lady would you mind getting out of our meeting room on time. We still close at the same time, every single Friday night. And, yes, there are other places we'd like to be.

2 comments:

alison said...

If this had the "like" option as Facebook does, I would click it. Your job is a riot.

Book Worm said...

Thanks! Confession: I had to ask the man what that meant. I take technology one decade at a time.