Friday, March 20, 2009

Strangers


"Strangers are bad people. If I can't see you, they will take you away and do terrible things to you."

The little blond boy stood in front of the fish tank-- surrounded by strangers. This little guy is about four so a bad person would be someone who: takes his toy, hits him, or gets angry with him. What about the nice man that gives him candy and wants his help finding his puppy?

It's essential to teach your kids about "stranger danger" and personal safety but please do it right. A few months ago, I had a lost child of about 6 in the library. I was wearing my badge, I didn't get too close and squatted down to his level to see if I could help. The poor kid was terrified. He said "NO" loudly and sprinted around the library looking for mom.

The world would be a scary place if all strangers were bad people. If nothing else, teach your little one to ask someone at a desk for help or a woman (sorry men, statistically true). They need to know there are good people, too and how to tell the difference.

No comments: