Tuesday, March 17, 2009

That Guy


A Regular set off the security on his way out the door and I rechecked his items. He sheepishly pulled a book from his pack. "I checked this one out last time." The book dealt with bipolar kids and he seemed a little embarrassed about it. If the book is for him, which I've learned is a big assumption, he didn't need to be embarrassed. I wanted to reassure him. Say, hey, looks like we're in the same boat. But that's a little like going to the grocery store and having someone comment on your Preparation H. So, I just "rechecked" the book out to him and told him to have a nice day. Sometimes people are just looking for normalcy. They don't want to be "that guy with the bp kid." They just want to be "that guy."

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Wow... that was a little close to home. Nice analogy with the Preparation H.

alison said...

Or it's like buying a box of tampons and a loaf of bread to make it look like it may not be "that time." Or Monistat with a gallon of milk. At least Preparation H isn't gender specific.

Book Worm said...

So right. I worked in a little store on campus and a guy came up to the counter with a box of pads and blurts out,"they're not for me!"